(First written 10/10/06)
The state of the world weighs on me. Us humans are poisoning the environment and causing massive murder and mayhem. What can one person do? One must do something – so I feel. On the former, here’s a few questions to think about the weight of one’s foot on the planet’s neck:
- Divide the number of square feet in your home by the number of people who live there. For every 100 square feet in your answer, add a point.
- For every vehicle you own, add 3 points.
- For every 10 gallons of gas you buy each month, add a point.
- For each trash bag you put in the garbage on the average week, add a point.
- If you ride the bus or train or walk or bike to work (or whatever your normal daily activities are) deduct 3 points.
- If you routinely recycle, deduct 3 points.
- If you always turn out the lights when you leave a room, deduct a point.
- If you don’t give a shit, add 5 points.
If you live in the US, the average foot is 4 times as heavy as the foot of someone in China, and 6 times as weighty as a person in India. Don’t even ask how much heavier it is than a starving Darfurian.